Welcome to my Professional Learning blog.
My name is Matt Nicoll and I am a high school teacher in New Zealand, interested in improving the classroom experience for my students. I am open to trialing new approaches and hope to use this blog to reflect on my ideas and practices.

Saturday 28 June 2014

Graphing Song

Well, that was one of the most energising coffee catch-up sessions - thank you, Danielle!! Wandering down Queen Street, I mentioned that I had put some lyrics to "The Wheels on the Bus" to help with graphing. It probably needs fine tuning, and I still want to get it recorded and to put it on YouTube, but I have now been convinced to put the lyrics here to share with the world :)

The Points on a Graph


Sung to the tune of “The Wheels on the Bus”

The points on a graph are marked with a cross, with a cross, with a cross. The points on a graph are marked with a cross, so we see them clearly.

The x-axis is the independent, independent, independent. The x-axis is the independent; the one you changed on purpose.

The y-axis is the dependent one, the dependent one, the dependent one. The y-axis is the dependent one; the one you had to measure.

Remember to label the axes, label the axes, label the axes. Remember to label the axes, and a scale that suits the data.

With two data sets, include a key, include a key, include a key. With two data sets, include a key which will tell the two lines a-part.

Connect points with a smooth curved line, a smooth curved line, a smooth curved line. Connect points with a smooth curved line, unless a ruler goes right through them.

Give the graph a meaningful title, meaningful title, meaningful title. Give the graph a meaningful title which tells us why you did this.


The points on a graph are marked with a cross, with a cross, with a cross. The points on a graph are marked with a cross, so we see them clearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment