The lesson followed this sequence (after I explained about why I wanted the teaching moments to be filmed):
- Explain the task (and link to the upcoming assessment expectations).
- there were a variety of oxidants and reductants available
- students were to try different combinations of these and record any changes they observed
- for any reactions (changes), students were to infer what the products were
- write half equations and a balanced overall equation for any reactions which did occur
Here are the two videos we captured:
Explaining the Lesson/Task
Demonstrating one Possible Experiment
After these were captured, I uploaded them to YouTube. I got this set up while the students were getting their respective equipment for the experiment; this allowed me to move around the lab and help students while the video uploaded.
The biggest issue I found was that I then had to use part of the following lesson to organise these videos on YouTube and email the embed code to the students. I am going to need to find a much more efficient way to share with them!!
Currently, I am thinking that I should embed the videos into our Class Site on Moodle. This will still take time, but it will avoid me having to send out group emails.
Alternatively, I could task one student per lesson to upload the video, then embed it into a Class Blog. Ideas please...!!!